- First you have to login to service console using a ssh client like putty. You can also do the same on a ESXi server if you have enabled the Remote Tech Support Mode.
- Then you have to take a snapshot of the running virtual machine using vi client.
- After that you have to create a new virtual machine using the vi client.
- From the service console delete the virtual hard disk of the newly created virtual machine:
# rm *.vmdk
- Then copy the virtual hard disk from the original virtual machine to the new virtual machine:
- If you want to create a thin virtual hard disk use this syntax:
- Delete the snapshot from the running original virtual machine using vi client.