Microsoft Office 2007, officially known as 2007 Microsoft Office System Suite or Server, has received two service packs (Office 2007 SP1 and Office 2007 SP2) up till now. Service packs contain important stability, reliability, performance and security improvements, and include all updates released till service pack is finalized.
Thus, it’s recommended to always install the latest and more current service pack for Microsoft Office 2K7. For consumers who have Microsoft Office 2007 RTM (without any service pack applied) CD/DVD disc or ISO image, and wants the newly available SP1 or SP2 to be installed whenever the Office productivity suite is installed on a computer, and slipstream or integrate the SP1 or SP2 update into the original DVD ISO image. The integrated Office 2007 installation ISO image or disc helps save update installation time after installing Office 2007 RTM or SP1 (for SP2), and ensure that the newer SP is installed.
Microsoft Office 2007 setup program will install any new updates that found inside the Updates folder in the installation media. The updates must be in .msp file format (MSP or Windows Installer Patch) in order to be recognized during setup installation process. Follow the steps below in order to slipstream and integrate Office 2007 SP1 or Office 2007 SP2 into original Office 2007 RTM installation files.
1. Extract and copy the contents of the Office 2007 RTM (or Office 2007 SP1 if want to apply SP2) image or disc to a temporary folder.
For example, C:\Office2007.
2. Download or copy the Office 2007 SP1 Update file or Office 2007 SP2 Update file to another temporary folder.
For example, C:\Office2007SP1 (office2007sp1-kb936982-fullfile-en-us.exe) or C:\Office2007SP2.
3. Open a command prompt, and run the following command to retrieve and get the Office 2007 SP update MSP:
Note: The drive letters, folder names and the service pack file names (name for SP1 and SP1 is different) may vary according to your own preferences.
4. Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms to start integrating the service pack to Office 2007 installation files. The process will expand several .msp files to “Updates” folder.
5. Optionally, uses disc image manipulation programs to re-create a fresh Office 2007 SP1/SP2 ISO image, or burn the Office 2007 SP1/SP2 installation files inside C:\Office2007 folder to a disc media with disk burning software.
The setup for Office 2007 will now automatically apply updates for SP1 and/or SP2 during instalation.